Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Taking A Stand Guitar in Hand

You know, there was a bright side in 2011. I had never performed in public before. No, it was not the best performance as I only finished the song the night before and had to have the words in front of me to perform. 

It was July 3,2011 when I sang; however, my community of the Village of Fowlerville, Michigan had some truly prejudiced people, I am sad to say, and I was somewhat apprehensive about singing. In fact, when President Obama was running for office, someone actually painted on a very long and large piece of wood, which they attached to their home right across from the park where I was to play that "Barack Hussein Obama was the antichrist."

My song, which I no longer have the words to, was an historical statement about what my dad fought for in World War II. I explained that I had black friends, and that the Navajo were heroes in the war because the Nazi's could not figure out the code. My father was in communications. 

Singing for my community in public, was exhilarating. There were three different categories, and I was in the adult group. It was for Hometown Idol. The funny thing was there were only three of us singing that day in the adult category, but I enjoyed the day. I came in second winning a trophy, $25.00 and a t-shirt. A young lady who performed a Taylor Swift song came in first. I was happy for her because I knew her dad and when he was having a tough time with cancer, she was about 5, I took her around the roller rink with me. 

As I mentioned before, my father was a lifelong member of the Disabled American Veterans (DAV). When I left the orphanage, St. Vincent Sarah Fisher Home for Children, in 1975 and went home, I made many trips to the Veteran's Hospital in Allen Park. 

more to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment