Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Father David Survived A Bullet

Father David was a Catholic Priest at Highland Park's St. Benedict's Church.  He was Filipino, and he was my favorite Priest.  When he would give me Communion, he would say, "this is Jesus and He loves you."  He was so different from Fr. Allen an American who was tired, old and must have had high blood pressure because he was always flush in the face.  Perhaps, I shouldn't say this, but the only thing I liked about Fr. Allen was you knew the Mass would be short because his Homilies could have been time spots for commercials.

Fr. David was kind, gentle and soft spoken.  He made me feel loved.  When I listened to him speak, I felt immersed in what he was saying.  I felt the love of Christ because Fr. David made Christ real to me.  Sadly, a part of me misses that unquestioning belief.

One day, someone broke into the Church and robbed the coffers not even hesitating to shoot Father David.  I was heart sick hearing it on the News.  Father David survived, but they were unable to remove the bullet.

He later served as the Pastor for a Filipino Community in Michigan until he passed.  I am not certain of the exact cause of death, but I am fairly sure the bullet had something to do with it.  I went to the Funeral Home to say goodbye to Fr. David.

Whatever one's belief, Fr. David was the epitome of an angel.


Copy and Paste the website below, If interested in a book that addresses Struggles with Faith.

http://www.amazon.com/Struggle-Paperback-Author-Joseph-Girzone/dp/B00EDG6UCE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421204339&sr=8-2&keywords=Joseph+Girzone+My+Struggle+With+Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment