Thursday, December 18, 2014

Oliver Twist and I could have been Soul Mates

As a young girl growing up at St. Vincent Sarah Fisher Home, I read the Madeline books by Ludwig Bemelmans and watched the television cartoons.  At the time, I thought he must be writing about me. I was named Madeline and we normally had twelve girls in a cottage headed by a Nun.  I related to the character because I was small like her, and I admired her not being afraid by saying "Pooh, pooh, to the tiger in the zoo." I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed to learn he was not writing about me.

My Foster Grandmother Jeannette McGowan made sure I had plenty of fun books to read. I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and she taught me how to read my first book, On the Ranch. When I left the orphanage, Grandma Jeannette and I kept in contact.  When we moved from Detroit to Royal Oak, I learned we were only blocks from each other.  I had the opportunity to meet her twin sister who did not look anything like Grandma Jeannette.  Her sister's name was Florence. Florence was tall, whereas Jeannette was small.  They were equally enjoyable.

I never had a chance to say goodbye to Grandma Jeannette.  I was working at Beaumont Hospital when she was suffering from pneumonia.  We chatted briefly. She was with her, nephew, who was a priest.  Later that summer, I suffered my first breakdown, three days after my 18th birthday, in 1981. When I went to check on her, the building attendant said, she was no longer there. My heart was broken.  I lost many loved ones during different hospitalizations, and I had to learn to cope with their departing and my not being able to say goodbye.

I know decisions I made throughout my life were in large part based on my upbringing, which at times caused for me to be in emotional turmoil.  I cannot change the past, but I can focus on the present, which will affect the future.

Ah, but back to books.  My favorite author is Charles Dickens because his characters are vibrant and real.  Naturally, Oliver Twist and David Copperfield are two of my favorites.  Both books deal with the struggles of children living on the streets.  The streets may have been the home of the children, but for the orphanage where the Daughters of Charity offered a supportive environment to care for the children. when I was child, Sr. Helen allowed us to watch Oliver Twist on the television, I thought Fagin was funny and fun with his pick-pocket tricks and for awhile I used to try to practice the skill.  No harm, I would just slip a comb out of a back pocket and giggle if the person had not noticed when I handed the comb back.

I attempted to read Pickwick Papers, but did not finish the book and it may be because the book was written in newspapers before being compiled together.  I read Hard Times and truly appreciated its authenticity. The book truly captures economic woes.  Additionally,  I enjoyed reading A Tale of Two Cities. I had a wonderful teacher Mrs. McHale who guided us in a literature class my Sophomore year of high school and exposed me to many other authors.  Dickens, however, remains my favorite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment