Thursday, November 18, 2010

Muhammad Ali


Muhammad Ali
by Madeleine Graham

Ropa dopa reality
Ripped into Muhammad Ali
Altering the rhythm
Changing the rhyme
Clipped the wings of my butterfly
Stripped of verbal linguistic juice
But not of mind and not of time
Just can't speak that next line
A TKO outside the ring
Sidelined my hero my poetry king
Unfair fight cry I
To a memory I can't let die
For in him see I
The mastermind of verbal lines
Now recall the man
The civil stand
Stood for people
And for lands
No bar holds
Not this man
Philosopher
Painter of the ring
Sure could dance
and knew how to swing
But best of all
Was the joy he'd bring
With verbal language poetic king
Raised the gloves taunting his foe
Better believe you'd feel the blow
And the crowd would listen for the words you know
Float like a butterfly
Sting like a bee
My name's Muhammad Ali
Made the government do a back stand
Never did raise a gun
How everybody listened and knew he'd won
Poetic Painter cast his spell
Upon the famous Howard Cossell
The lights would dim upon the crowd
Ali on stage watch him now
Better dancer than Fred Astaire
Just took it to the ring instead of the chair
Cameras honin' in
To listen to the words upon his win
Ali champion once again
Now quieter times have come his way
But the crowds still listen for the words he will say
Though spoken in softer quieter tones
His eyes speak volumes
And the crowd still applauds
For the man who is loved here and abroad.


Recently, Wilson Jacobs, age 23, a wonderful artist from Lagos, Nigeria did a charcoal commissioned rendering of Muhammad Ali along with a poem I wrote years ago about Muhammad Ali. He used Bristol Strathmore paper and a clear overlay to prevent damage in shipping.

Jacobs many artworks may be seen on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram. Personally, I connected with Jacobs on LinkedIn.

Vista Visions Art Gallery at the Genesee Valley Mall located in Flint Township, Michigan, currently has the work on display. The frame and matting were accomplished through a grant that art gallery director, Pat Beal was able to secure. The Vista Visions Art Gallery serves those with various disabilities. For many of the artists, the gallery is a wonderful opportunity to feature talents. The gallery is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11:00 am until 3:00 pm.
www.thevistacenter.org

The native language of his homeland, Nigeria, is Yoruba, stated Jacobs. He is a self-taught artist who finished high school and has been doing portraits since 2015 although he has been doing artwork since about age 10. "I paint oil, pastels, colored pencils and (I) paint on canvas and fabrics as well. Renderings take about 4 to 5 days to complete. Shipping can be done in about 5 days as well.

I am grateful Jacobs called me to prevent me from cancelling the order. My concern stemmed from the fact he is located in Nigeria. I am glad we connected even though Wal-Mart cautioned me about doing business in Nigeria. Sadly, a few bad apples can make it difficult for individuals like Jacobs, as scams have been operating there.

Wilson accepts Western Union, WorldRemit, and normally Jacobs does direct bank to bank transfers.

No comments:

Post a Comment