Thursday, September 7, 2017

Faltered Memory

One of the side effects of my bipolar illness that I have experienced is a faulty memory. It is difficult for me to remember things when once I had a photographic memory.  I am fifty-four now, and I am enjoying volunteering because The Disability Network is challenging me to learn new things.  I am grateful that I am able to learn and I am now starting to remember how to use office equipment.  I enjoy the atmosphere of being in an environment that is understanding of my illness.  I have not shared with all the staff that I have an illness, but when I interviewed with the staff to become a volunteer, I was upfront about my illness and my anxiety.

It has been two years since I have been hospitalized, and I am now gathering my strength to try and learn the skills necessary to return to work.  I urge anyone with this illness to never give up. Surround yourself with individuals who are positive and don't isolate!  It is easy to isolate out of embarrassment, but if you are like me, we struggle when an episode occurs and isolation is something we do to ourselves.  We have to reach out to improve our lives and learn how to move forward.  I hope my life can be inspiration to you to always try to stand back up.  Together we can support one another to never let life get the best of us!

I am no longer volunteering at  The Disability Network, I am now employed by East Village Magazine.  A non-profit publication.  I plan to continue doing assignments as I am able.  My memory is improving and I am pleased about that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment