Sunday, January 8, 2017

Life's Curves Reaction to Real Life and Death

When I was hospitalized at Beaumont Hospital at the age of eighteen an older women named Anna was choking on her food.  I performed the heimlich maneuver and she was okay.  The staff did not realize she was choking.  It was my first hospitalization when they thought I had schizophrenia.  My current diagnosis is bipolar.  I do not understand why I later reacted differently to other situations.

When my son was choking on a fishbone and turned blue.  My ex-husbands finger was too big.  So I did a baby finger sweep and unlodged the bone from my sons throat.  He is now 23.

When a women in 2011 swallowed bleach and alcohol, instead of calling 911, I called community mental health and they told me to call 911.

I was foreclosed on in 2011 and was subletting a room from this fella and he died. His leg fell off the bed and he was dead.  I called a relative to ask what I should do and she said, "do nothing," so I did nothing for two hours and fell asleep.  I then called 911 at 4:00 am and told them my roommate was dead.  Clearly the last two responses were wrong.  I don't know why I reacted this way.  I am trying to figure it out.

When a girl got her finger stuck at the library when the door hit her and she was bleeding from the finger. I wrapped her finger and told the mother to take her to the doctor.

When my own son caught his finger in my door on the minivan, I reported to the school where I was scheduled to substitute teach that I had to leave.  I took my son to the doctor and he relieved the pressure with a needle and x rayed the finger and though the tip was broken he said it would heal just fine.

When a teenager fell and her arm was broken at a fourth of July celebration, I talked to her to keep her calm though her bone was protruding from her forearm. I had someone call 911 and directed the individual by siting our location at the park.  The police arrived shortly after.

I am normally calm in situations by I was surprised by reaction to both the bleach incident and the corpse.  I want to return to being me.

When a fight broke out in an elevator, I called the police.  I also called a worker from our building as it was past hours and the situation was handled.

When a women was bleeding from her arm after a IV was removed from kidney dialysis.  I wrapped her arm using a first aid kit at the building.

I need to realize how to stay calm again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment