Monday, March 9, 2015

Two Bullets And A Chair

Two Bullets And A Chair
A woman riddled with despair
The life she chose was not safe
And one day she payed the price
When bullets rang through the air
Now her home is in a chair
Her mind confused as she is dazed for another love has seen the grave
Tatoos on neck and arms she does bare
Apart from gangs and family
Isolation is her presentation

She looked at me with forlorn eyes
And said, "I don't know my purpose in life"
Passing thoughts she did have on an early departure
But I said to her, you have so much to offer
Dig deep within and remember when your train was on the track
The family member, teacher or friend who tried to keep you in a positive mode
She shook her head, but said "I listen, but it is all so confusing, I don't know who to listen to."

T-shirt inside-out jeans slipping well away from her hips
Pelle Pelle jacket in her lap
She told me her jeans could not touch the chair
As if somehow were they to be up on her all the way
She would have to acknowledge her damaged spine
Or the life she left behind
Hiking boots upon her feet, no laces in them though
As she pulled her left leg with her hands
Placing her foot better on the footstand

Attentively, she listened as I tried to engage her
I did not mince words as I felt that would be unfair
I said these are your cards now, and you need to move on
For you see like me, though I am not in a chair
Never have I been shot
And I do not have tatoos
I have a mind that I have had to re-direct
To stay positive when things are so out of control

I am not certain if our conversation will make a difference
Time will demonstrate that
But I would like you to know
There is a woman in a chair
Who is fighting despair
If you have a moment or two, I ask you say a special prayer

For only God can heal the mind
And bring the peace found in time
Her hope for now is a power chair
But you see, I believe, there is so much more for her
When she discovers that her smile
Has already touched someone
Her purpose in life has just begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment