Saturday, January 17, 2015

Believing In Yourself When The World Says...

How does one move forward when the world says you will not advance in life? This nearly happened to me at the age of eighteen.  Had I listened to the medical community I would not have more than one degree.  I would never have been a wife, a mother, substitute teacher, writer, girl scout leader and service unit manager, VFW Ladies Auxiliary Member looking to support our troops who have been left forgotten.  I would never have worked with special needs.

But I, I chose not to listen because my Aunt refused to let me listen when I was eighteen.  I had taken all the required coursework by my junior year of high school and was working at Beaumont Hospital when my dreams were nearly dashed due to a schizophrenia diagnosis, which has changed several times since.  My senior year, I took government and religion and graduated with my class.  I was on the road for college academically because my grade point average was high and had been accepted into every university I applied to.  Had I listened to the medical community, I would have been in a group home by eighteen.

I have had many struggles in my life, but I have had a life and for that I am grateful.  I cannot give up because I must set the example for my adult children that you must never give up.  I have had many obstacles, but I have had many successes too.  I have been fortunate to meet legislators, personalities and many people who have influenced me positively.

I never consider myself to be out of work because my work for a day may be as simple as a smile, or putting on a shoe, helping a stranger with laundry or being a listening ear for my children who are making their life choices.

Writing is my work even if I am not currently pulling in a paycheck.  I write because I have a passion for writing and because I never know when something I say may help a fellow human being.

My life is dedicated now to peace and helping others understand why I have my own peace, peace of mind, body and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment