Monday, September 22, 2014

One of Many

There is an illness we try to hide, 
locked in generations and hidden by pride. 
A family is devastated and does not understand, 
while older members prefer to pretend.
A torture and peril rips through the soul:
Leaving emptiness, void of a goal.
Still generations live on--

But eyes are opened by one that sees 
Inquisitive, troubled victim is she
To explore and understand
To somehow comprehend
what is this illness 
That destroys the brain
Leaving sorrow, anger and pain--

Surely there is an answer somewhere.
Surely there is a reason for despair,
But why does a family continue to retreat
Behind the walls of facades and defeat
To rise above and live beyond 
This meddlesome, troublesome thorn in the side
This is the goal 
A new generation holds--

To conquer, to prevail, to achieve
To be as normal as normal can be 
To live with the illness,
But not to succumb
To have open eyes 
To recognize the signs
This is the attitude
Of a new generation
To function, to be--contributors in society--

Mental illness exists; this is true 
But survivors are many
Productive souls need not hide
Beneath fallacies, masks and lies.
Society shuns the sick and oppressed,
 A world has its norms
New shoes must be worn
God forbid there be an aberrant--

Hell, I am what I am 
And what I am ain't bad
For I am me--a soul with purpose
An individual with a goal
I seek truth
I strive for happiness
And God willing I too will be successful
In a world that demands conformity--

I cannot alter who I am
But I can help people to understand 
This illness we too often try to hide
That is locked in by generations and hidden by pride
God willing I will succeed
For I am an envoy for those who still bleed!




Composed after my first bout with mental illness at the age of 18. 

No comments:

Post a Comment